Saturday, June 1, 2013

DIY Family Chore Chart

Ok, so not food at all, but this definitely improved my mood!

I decided to make a family chore chart and perused Pinterest for some great ideas.
This is what I came up with for our family.  It's simple and effective (so far) and is great for keeping track of who did what chores.  We are always in and out of the house at different times and this works great for us.






I used 2 Quartet Magnetic Dry Erase Boards 11" x 17" inches to start.  These I found at Wal-Mart for about $7.47 each.  I wanted the dry erase and not just a plain magnetic board so that I could write it on and change things up as needed.

For the chore magnets I used these awesome sheets from Avery called Printable Magnet Sheets.  They were a bit pricey at about $13.00 for a pack of 5 sheets, but I figured we would use them and my son already has plans to print out pics of our late dog to put on his own white board.



I used Excel to create the template for the labels (I simply added each chore in it's own cell and made each cell 1/2 inch tall) and simply fed these amazing sheets through our inkjet printer to create our magnets.  (If you make sure to add All Borders to each cell, then you will have perfect guidelines to cut the magnets out.  These magnet sheets were easily cut with scissors by my son.  He just loves having his picture taken! lol

I made it real simple by writing in our rooms with a dry erase marker and adding our cut out magnets under each heading.  I forgot to print out a few of the chores, but I wrote them on extra magnets so they don't look as nice, but I'm still happy with it. 

It may not be the neatest and most pristine family chore chart, but it pretty much matches my family; a little neat, a little quirky, and a little bit messy. Here are a few close ups of the finished project.







And the total finished project.  To Do on one white board and Done on the other.  We can easily move the magnets from the To Do side to the Done side to keep track of what was done.
It ain't fancy, but there it is :)





No comments:

Post a Comment